Prepd Dutch Oven Care
Thank you for purchasing Prepd Dutch Oven and joining the Prepd Community! We hope you’ll love using Prepd Dutch Oven as much as we do.
With the right care, your Prepd Dutch Oven will last a lifetime. Here’s a few quick tips to get the most out of it.
Before first use
Gently scrub with water and a small amount of dish soap, wipe clean and dry, then heat on the stove to evaporate any moisture. Now coat the pot and lids with a thin coat of cooking oil.
Break-in phase (first 10 uses)
- Use a little extra oil
- Keep the temperature low to medium
- Sautéing onions, roasting veggies or frying are ideal for your first meals
- Avoid salty liquids or acidic foods such as tomatoes, wine, citrus
- Avoid cooking with too much water where possible
Cleaning & Maintenance
- Prepd Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Lids cannot be cleaned in a dishwasher
- After use, wipe off excess oil and food with a towel or cloth
- Use the minimum amount of water and soap necessary to clean the Dutch Oven and Lids
- Whenever your Prepd Cast Iron gets wet, wipe it dry immediately with a cloth or paper towel
- Heat your Dutch Oven and Lids on the stove or in the oven on low heat to evaporate any remaining moisture
- After drying, apply a thin coat of oil to the surface of the pot and lids - inside and out.
Our good friend Casey from Kitchen Karate has also prepared a quick video on general care that also applies to the Prepd Dutch Oven and Lids. Check it out below!
- Cast iron gets very hot and stays hot - always use an oven mitt, potholder when holding the handle during cooking or after cooking while the Cast Iron is still hot.
- Always place down the Prepd Dutch Oven and Lids in a safe area - on a cooling rack or trivet.
- Your Prepd Cast Iron will change color with use, this is completely normal. Your Cast Iron will become darker and more uniform over time.
We can’t wait to see what you’ll make with your Prepd Dutch Oven!
Looking for Cast Iron Accessories Care Instructions?