Prepd Dutch Oven - Roast Chicken and Vegetables
This irresistible Dutch Oven Roast Chicken and Vegetables recipe by Ajoke at The Dinner Bite is simple to prepare, yet bursting with incredible flavor. It brings pure comfort to your plate and is sure to impress even the pickiest eaters. The chicken is juicy, and the veggies are perfectly tender. With nutritious whole food ingredients, it's a healthy choice for your next family dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes
Total Time: 130 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Category: Main dish
- 1.5kg (3-4 lb) whole chicken
- 50g slightly salted butter softened
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 ½ lb. baby potatoes chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves smashed
- ½ Tablespoon dried rosemary
- ½ Tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ Tablespoon dried tarragon
- ½ Tablespoon dried coriander
- ½ Tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven at 220C/425F, 10 minutes before you start prepping the rest of the ingredients, place the cast iron in the oven to preheat.
- Prep the chicken: Pat the chicken dry and remove any giblets in the cavity of the chicken if there are any. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper including the cavity.
- Make the herb butter: To a small bowl add softened butter, dried tarragon, parsley, thyme, coriander, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and mix until combined.
- Use the back of a tablespoon to carefully loosen the skin of the chicken around the breast area, taking care not to tear it. Use your hand or a teaspoon to stuff half of herby butter under the skin on each side of the breast until evenly coated. Rub the remaining herb butter on the outer part of the chicken. Stuff the chicken cavity with 2 quarters of 1 lemon
- Tuck wing tips under if it is not already done and tie the legs together with a piece of kitchen twine.
- Arrange the veggies in the cast iron Dutch oven, then squeeze the remaining lemon over the veggies. Place chicken over vegetables and pour chicken stock in the bottom of the cast iron.
- Place the lid over the Dutch oven and place in the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, reduce the heat to 180C/365F and continue to cook for another 40-50 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165F/74C.
- Roast the chicken for 25 minutes per pound at 200C/400F degrees. For example, if you are cooking 1.5kg (3lb) whole chicken then cook for at least 70-90 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165F/74C.
- If after roasting, the chicken is not crispy enough to your liking, remove the lid and broil the chicken for another 5 minutes or so for crispy skin. That said, I don't ever have the need to do this as the chicken skin crisp up nicely covered. However, it is important to know that all ovens are not made equal.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up the 3 days.